Aston, PA—Sister Agnes Schilling, OSF, (formerly Sister Ildephonse), 94, died in Assisi House on October 22. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 72 years. Sister Agnes was born in Ashland, Pennsylvania, where she was a member of St. Mauritius Parish and a graduate of Ashland High School. She entered the congregation in 1939 and professed her first vows in 1942. Sister Agnes later earned a B.S. in Education from Villanova University. She ministered primarily in education and in pastoral care ministry.
Sister Agnes ministered in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia for 62 years. She taught at St. Benedict School (1942-1943), Nativity School in Media (1946-1949), Our Lady of Perpetual Help School in Morton (1956-1962), and West Catholic High School (1962-1981). In later years she served in pastoral care in two healthcare facilities: St. Mary Hospital in Philadelphia (1981-1988) and St. Mary Medical Center in Langhorne (1988-2009). In 2009 she moved to Assisi House in Aston where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Agnes also ministered for seven years in the Diocese of Allentown where she taught at St. Fidelis School in Mahanoy City (1949-1956).
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, Aston, Pennsylvania, 19014 on Monday, November 3. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial at will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Agnes is survived by her sister, Marie Kellagher, her brother, Carl Schilling, nieces, nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.