Aston, PA—Sister Alice Francis O’Connor, OSF, 90, died in Assisi House on September 27. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 70 years. Sister Alice Francis (Hannah O’Connor) was born in Knocknacurra, Co. Cork, Ireland. She entered the congregation in 1937 and professed her first vows in 1940. She earned a both a B.A. in English and an M.A. in Math from Mt. St. Mary University in Emmitsburg, Maryland. She ministered primarily in education on both secondary and elementary levels.
Sister Alice Francis ministered for 33 years in the Diocese of Wilmington, 23 of those years at St. Mark’s High School (1973-1987, 1989-1998). Other ministry in the diocese included St. Paul School (1940-1942); St. Thomas School (1943-1944); St. Mary School (1950-1953); St. Peter School, New Castle (1959-1960); Ministry of Caring (1987-1988); and Our Lady of Fatima School (1998-2000).
Sister Alice Francis’ nine years of ministry in the Archdiocese of Baltimore included Shrine of the Little Flower School (1942-1943, 1944-1950) and St. Stephen School Bradshaw (1960-1963). Another ten years of service was rendered to the Harrisburg diocese where Sister Alice taught at St. Joseph School, Lancaster (1963-1973).
Additional ministry experiences included St. Bernadette School, Silver Spring, Maryland (1953-1956); St. Joseph Academy, Chickasha, Oklahoma (1958-1959); and Our Lady of Peace School, North Augusta, South Carolina (1988-1989); St. Agnes Medical Center, Philadelphia (2000-2003). In 2003 Sister Alice Francis moved to Assisi House in Aston where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Friday, October 1. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Alice Francis is survived by her sister, Peg O’Connor; by her nieces and nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.