Aston, PA—Sister Anna Cosgrove, OSF (formerly Sister John Lawrence), 93, died in Assisi House on December 1. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 75 years. Sister Anna was born in Lost Creek, Pennsylvania, where she was a member of St. Mary Magdalen Parish. She entered the congregation in 1932 and professed her first vows in 1935. She earned a B.S. in Education from Villanova and ministered primarily in elementary education as both teacher and principal and in eldercare.
Sister Anna ministered for 70 years in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. She began her teaching career at St. Elizabeth School (1934-1946) and returned there as principal from 1961-1964). She also served as principal of St. Aloysius School, Pottstown (1946-1952, 1969-1972); Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School, Doylestown (1956-1958); St. Ignatius School, Yardley (1958-1961); Nativity School, Media (1964-1969). From 1974-1976 she served as administrator of St. Mary Retirement Residence in Bryn Mawr. In 1976 she became administrator of the newly opened Assisi House in Aston, a position she held until 1980. From 1980-1999 she served director of volunteers at Immaculate Mary Home in Philadelphia. In 1999 Sister Anna moved to Assisi House where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Anna also ministered in the Diocese of Allentown for six years. She taught at Sacred Heart School from 1952-1956 and was administrator of St. Francis Children’s Home in Orwigsburg from 1972-1974.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Tuesday, December 7. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Anna was predeceased by her brothers, John Cosgrove and Anthony Monaghan and by her two sisters, Sabina Flaherty and Molly Reilly. She is survived by her many nieces and nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.