Aston, PA-Sister Beatrice Diamond, OSF, (formerly Sister Beatrice Gerard) 90, died in Assisi House on April 30. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 73 years. Sister Beatrice (Norbertina Diamond) was born in Aston Mills, Pennsylvania, where she was a member of St. Francis DeSales Parish in Lenni. She entered the congregation in 1932 and professed her first vows in 1936. She studied to be an x-ray technician at St. Francis Hospital in Wilmington, Delaware. In 1960 she was elected both as second vice president of the American Society of x-ray technicians and president of the Pennsylvania Society of x-ray technicians. That same year she received first prize at the Mid-Eastern Conference of X-Ray Technicians for her exhibit of x-ray films. She later earned both a B.A. in Social Services and an M.S. in Social Work from the Catholic University of America.
Sister Beatrice ministered in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia for 32 years. She worked at St. Mary Hospital, Philadelphia, in 1936-1937 and returned there as Director of Social Services from 1974-1978. From 1982-2001 she was Special Projects Coordinator at St. Mary Medical Center, Langhorne. When she retired she lived at Portiuncula Convent in Aston where, from 2001-2008, she ministered as a driver. She moved to Assisi House in 2008 and served in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Beatrice’s 17 years in the Diocese of Harrisburg (1948-1965) included ministering at St. Joseph Hospital in Lancaster. She was an x-ray technician and served as director of the hospital’s school of radiology.
Sister Beatrice ministered for six years in the Diocese of Trenton. Her work there included serving as director of the school of radiology at St. Francis Hospital in Trenton. From 1978-1981 she was administrator of Morris Hall in Lawrenceville.
Sister Beatrice ministered for eight years in the Diocese of Wilmington. From 1942-1948 she studied x-ray technology and worked in the admission office. She returned there from 1965-1967 as an x-ray technician and director of the hospital’s school of radiology.
From 1937-1942 Sister Beatrice ministered in the Diocese of Allentown at St. Joseph Hospital in Reading.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Tuesday, May 5. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Beatrice is survived by her sister-in-law, Dorothy Diamond, her nieces and nephews, and her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to Franciscan Ministries Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.