Aston, PA—Sister Dorothy Ann Schmitt, OSF, 86, died in Assisi House on November 27. She was a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 67 years. Sister Dorothy Ann (Dorothy Gertrude Schmitt) was born in Baltimore, Maryland, where she was a member of St. Elizabeth Parish and a graduate of The Catholic High School of Baltimore. She entered the congregation in 1942 and professed her first vows in 1944. Sister Dorothy Ann had a bachelors degree in History and a master’s in Education from Trenton State College. She ministered primarily in education, was a reading specialist, and was a charter member of the Garden State Storytellers’ League. In her leisure time she enjoyed reading, crocheting, doing word puzzles, and storytelling.
Sister Dorothy Ann Schmitt ministered in the Diocese of Trenton for a total of 52 years where she taught at St. Anthony School, Trenton (1944-1945, 1958-1962); Holy Angels School, Trenton (1945-1953); Blessed Sacrament School, Trenton (1953-1958); St. Rose of Lima School, Freehold (1962-1964); Immaculate Conception School, Trenton (1972-1982); and McCorristin High School, Trenton (1982-1983). Sister Dorothy Ann spent 21 years at St. Raphael School in Trenton (1983-2004) where she was listed in the Who’s Who among American Teachers in 1996 and the recipient of the Teacher of the Year Award in 1998.
Sister Dorothy also ministered in education in the Diocese of Harrisburg for eight years. She served at St. Joseph School, York (1964-1972) and spent a few short months at Holy Trinity School in Columbia in 1972.
Sister Dorothy Ann Schmitt moved to Assisi House in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in 2004 and served in prayer ministry until her death.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Friday, December 2. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. followed by burial in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Dorothy Ann is survived by her brother, Edward Schmitt, nieces, nephews, and her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.