Aston, PA-Sister Edith McLaughlin, OSF, (formerly Sister Mary Thomasita) died in Assisi House on February 14. She was eighty-two years of age and had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for sixty-one years. Sister Edith was born in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, but later moved to Baltimore, Maryland, where she was a member of St. Elizabeth Parish. Prior to her entrance into the congregation in 1945, she graduated from the Catholic High School of Baltimore and worked as a clerk/typist at the Glen L. Martin Company. She professed her first vows in 1947. Sister Edith earned a B.A. in History from San Diego College for Women and ministered primarily in elementary education.
Sister Edith began her ministry in education teaching at Immaculate Conception School in Elkton, Maryland (1946-1950). S he then moved to Oklahoma and taught at St. Patrick Indian Mission in Anadarko (1950-1953).
Sister Edith ministered for nine years in the Diocese of San Bernardino. She taught at St. Edward School in Corona (1953-1960) and at St. Thomas School in Riverside (1970-1972).
Sister Edith’s ten years of ministry in the Diocese of Baker included teaching at St. Francis Academy in Baker (1960-1961), Sacred Heart Academy in Klamath Falls (1961-1967), and St. Joseph School in Pendleton (1967-1970).
In 1972 Sister Edith returned to the east coast and ministered for twenty-seven years in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. Until 1999 she taught at Holy Spirit School (formerly located on Gorsuch Avenue in Baltimore). In 1999 Sister Edith moved to Assisi House in Aston, Pennsylvania, where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Wednesday, February 20. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Edith is survived by her niece and nephew and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to Franciscan Ministries Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.