Aston, PA—Sister Joella Francis Campbell, OSF, (89), died in Assisi House on November 15. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 68 years. Sister Joella Francis (Theresa Mary Campbell) was born in Media, Pennsylvania, where she was a member of Nativity Parish and a graduate of Notre Dame High School, Moylan. She entered the congregation in 1945 and professed her first vows in 1947. Her sister, Sister Marie Francine Campbell, is also a member of the congregation and ministers in Philadelphia. Sister Joella earned a B.S. in Education from Neumann University and ministered primarily in elementary and secondary education.
Sister Joella Francis’ 53 years of service in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia included teaching at St. Bonaventure School, St. Benedict School, St. Alphonsus School, Resurrection School in Chester, Our Lady of Perpetual Help School in Morton, St. Elizabeth School, All Saints School, St. Mary’s School, and Nativity School in Media. In 1993 she moved to Springfield where she worked in the Studies Office for 16 years. In 2009 she moved to Assisi House where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Joella Francis also ministered for eight years in the Diocese of Allentown. She taught at SS. Peter and Paul School in Lehighton and Most Blessed Sacrament School in Bally. From 1956-1960 she also worked with the children at St. Francis Orphanage School in Orwigsburg.
Additional ministry included teaching at St. Joseph School in Raritan, New Jersey, and at Immaculate Conception School in Trenton, New Jersey.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, Aston, Pennsylvania, 19014 on Wednesday, November 18. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Joella Francis is survived by her sisters, Kate Kane and Sister Marie Francine Campbell, by her nieces and nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.