Aston, PA—Sister Judith O’Neill, OSF, (84) died in Assisi House on June 29. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 63 years. Sister Judith (Marie Veronica O’Neill) was born in Philadelphia where she was a member of St. Benedict Parish and a graduate of Little Flower High School. She entered the congregation in 1949 and professed her first vows in 1952. Sister Judith earned a B.A. in English from Mt. St. Mary University and an M.A. in Education from the University of Delaware. She ministered primarily in education on elementary, secondary, and college levels.
Sister Judith ministered for 20 years in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. She taught at Neumann University from 1994-2002 and after a sabbatical returned there as a faculty advisor until 2013. From 1994-1996 she lived at the AIDS Baby House in Philadelphia and helped care for the children. She became a resident of Assisi House in 2014 and served in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Judith’s 30 years of ministry in the Archdiocese of Baltimore included teaching at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School (1951-1952), St. Joseph School in Fullerton (1952-1960), St. Peter Claver School (1964-1968), St. Lawrence School, Baltimore (1977-1978), Little Flower School (1978-1982), and the Catholic High School of Baltimore (1982-1994).
Sister Judith also ministered for nine years in the Diocese of Wilmington where she taught at St. John the Beloved School (1968-1971) and St. Anthony School (1971-1977). During her four years in the Archdiocese of Washington, she taught at both Nativity School in Washington (1960-1962) and Our Lady of Lourdes School in Bethesda (1962-1964).
All services will be held at Our Lady of Angels Convent Chapel, 609 South Convent Road, Aston, Pennsylvania on Tuesday, July 7. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by Mass of Christian Burial at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Judith is survived by two sisters, Mary Eigner and Sara Pasquarello; a brother, Hugh O’Neill, her nieces and nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.