Aston, PA—Sister Marguerite Grueter, OSF, (92) (formerly Sister Mary Leo) died in Assisi House on February 3. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 62 years. Sister Marguerite was born in Boston, Massachusetts, where she was a member of Holy Trinity Parish. Prior to her entrance into the congregation, she taught in the Boston public school system. She entered the congregation in 1949 and professed her first vows in 1952. She earned a B.A. in English from Emmanuel College and a M.Ed. in English from Boston Teachers College. Sister Marguerite ministered primarily in in secondary education and parish ministry.
Sister Marguerite ministered for 38 years in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. She taught at St. Hubert High School (1951-1966) and at Cadinal O’Hara High School in Springfield (1966-1973). From 1986-1993 she worked at Neumann University in Aston as a lab assistant and tutor. She moved to Assisi House in 2005 and served in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Marguerite ministered for 13 years in the Archdiocese of Boston. She taught at Ursuline Academy in Dedham from 1981-1982. From 1993-2005 she was a parish visitor at Blessed Sacrament Parish in Walpole.
Sister Marguerite ministered for eight years in the Diocese of Trenton where she taught at McCorristin High School (1973-1981). Her ministry in the Diocese of Baker included teaching at Sacred Heart Academy in Klamath Falls (1982-1985). Additional ministry experience included teaching at Lancaster Catholic High School in Lancaster, Pennsylvania (1985-1986).
All services will be held in Assisi House, 610 Red Hill Road, Pennsylvania, 19014 on Friday, February 7. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial at will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Marguerite is survived by her brother Joseph, her nieces, and her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.