Aston, PA—Sister Mary Gertrude DeLeonardis, OSF, 89, died in Assisi House on October 21. Sister Gertrude (Maria DeLeonardis) was born in Hoboken, New Jersey, where she was a member of St. Anne Parish. A Franciscan sister for 70 years, she entered the Franciscan Sisters of Ringwood in 1938 (a congregation which later merged with the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia) and professed her first vows in 1940. Sister Gertrude ministered primarily in education and parish ministry.
Sister Gertrude ministered in the Diocese of Paterson for many years. She taught at St. Francis School in Haskell, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School in Passaic, Queen of Peace School in Hewitt, and St. Catherine School in Ringwood. From 1998-2010 she served in prayer ministry at Mt. St. Francis in Ringwood.
Sister Gertrude’s ministry in the Diocese of Brooklyn included teaching at Holy Family School. She also served in parish ministry at both St. Francis Paola Parish and St. Blaise Parish.
In the Archdiocese of Newark, Sister Gertrude taught at Assumption School in Emerson and St. Anthony School in East Newark.
Sister Gertrude also ministered in the Archdiocese of New York where she taught at St. Joseph School in Spring Valley.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on October 26. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 10:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 12 noon. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery. Sister Gertrude is survived by her two sisters, Mary DeLeonardis and Anne Grasso; nieces and nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.