Aston, PA — Sister Rose Amelia Wagner, OSF, died in Assisi House on August 18. She was 92 years of age and had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 75 years. Sister Rose Amelia (Mary Constance Wagner) was born in Washington, DC, where she was a member of Nativity Parish. She entered the congregation in 1928, completing her high school studies after her entrance. She later earned a B.S. in Education from Mt. St. Mary College in Emmitsburg, Maryland, and an M.A. in Religious Studies from St, Charles Seminary in Philadelphia. Sister Rose Amelia ministered primarily elementary education, teaching grades 3-7. She was especially gifted in music and taught music in many of the school where she served. After her retirement she served in parish ministry. In addition to her love of music, she enjoyed sewing, crocheting, and cooking.
Sister Rose Amelia ministered for twenty-four years in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. She taught at St. Elizabeth School (1946-1948); Resurrection School, Chester ((1948-1949, 1969-1970); and Nativity School, Media (1954-1969). In 2001 she moved to Assisi House in Aston where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Rose Amelia’s twenty-two years of service in the Archdiocese of Baltimore included teaching at St. Elizabeth School (1930-1932, 1933-1939); St. Stephen School, Bradshaw (1932-1933); and Little Flower School (1939-1944). Following her retirement she lived (and did volunteer service) at St. Anthony Convent (1993-1994), St. Mary of the Angels Convent (1994-1997); and St. Joseph Medical Center Convent (1997-2001).
Sister Rose Amelia ministered for twenty-three years in Florida. Thirteen of those years were spent in the Diocese of Pensacola/Tallahassee. She taught St. Paul School (1975-1985) and did parish ministry during the years she lived at Marian House in Warrington (1985-1988). She taught for five years at St. Ann School in the Diocese of Naples (1970-1975) and ministered for another five years in parish ministry at St. John Vianney Parish in the Diocese of Orlando (1988-1993).
Sister Rose Amelia also ministered for five years in the Diocese of Allentown, teaching at St. Bartholomew School in Brockton (1949-1950), St. John the Baptist School in Stiles (1950-1953), and St. Lawrence School in Catasauqua (1953-1954).
She also taught at St. Joseph on the Brandywine School in Wilmington, Delaware, from 1944-1946.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Wednesday, August 23. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Rose Amelia is survived by a nephew, cousins, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to Franciscan Ministries Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.