Aston, PA-Sister Sheila Casey, OSF (formerly Sister John Julia), 86, died in Assisi House on May 14. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 61 years. Sister Sheila was born in Knocknour, County Cork, Ireland. She entered the congregation in 1949 and professed her first vows in 1951.
Sister Sheila’s years in ministry began at Blessed Sacrament Convent in Trenton, New Jersey, and over the years her ministry included education, child care, parish ministry, healthcare, and domestic service.
Sister Sheila ministered for 22 years in the Archdiocese of Seattle. Her ministry included St. Ann Home for Children, St. Leo Convent, St. Charles Convent, and St. Rita Parish, all in Tacoma.
Sister Sheila’s 11 years in the Archdiocese of Portland included working at Our Lady of Angels Convent and the Franciscan Renewal Center, both in Portland. In the Diocese of Baker where she ministered for five years, Sister Sheila served in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Baker; St. Anthony Hospital, Pendleton; and Sacred Heart Convent, Klamath Falls.
Additional years of service include serving for three years in the Diocese of Spokane where Sister Sheila ministered at St. Charles Convent and St. Joseph Children Home. In the Diocese of Cheyenne, she served for seven years at St. Stephen’s Mission. She also taught for three years at the Madeleine School in San Diego, California.
After her retirement, Sister Sheila moved to the east coast where she ministered at Our Lady of Angels Convent for five years. In 2007 she moved to Assisi House where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Wednesday, May 18. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Sheila is survived by her sisters, Mary O’Flynn and Nellie Begley, nieces, nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.