Aston, PA — Sister Teresiana Miller, OSF, died in Assisi House on August 26. She was ninety-four years of age and had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for seventy-two years. Sister Teresiana (Agnes Irma Miller) was born in Baltimore, Maryland, where she was a member of St. Elizabeth Parish and a graduate of St. Elizabeth Commercial School. Following her graduation she worked as a stenographer and assistant bookkeeper at the Baltimore Tube Company. In 1932 she entered the Sisters of St. Francis where her older sister, Sister Basilia Miller (now deceased), was already a member. Her younger sister, Sister Ann Mercedes Miller, later joined the congregation and resides at Assisi House in Aston. Sister Teresiana earned a B.S. in English from Mt. St. Mary College in Emmitsburg, Maryland, and an M.A. in Administration from the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC. She ministered primarily in elementary education as teacher and principal as well as in supervisory positions. Following her retirement from teaching, she served in parish ministry. She enjoyed reading, crocheting, and watching TV.
Sister Teresiana ministered for twenty-six years in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. She taught at the Catholic High School of Baltimore (1948-1949); St. Paul School (1949-1952); and St. Clement School, Rosedale (1962). She served as principal of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School in Middle River (1964-1968), at St. Anthony School (1968-1971), and at Immaculate Conception School in Towson (1981-1985). From 1971-1974 she served as Provincial Coordinator of Education for the Sisters of St. Francis and as Assistant Superintendent of School for the Archdiocese of Baltimore from 1974-1981. She returned to St. Anthony Convent (then an Independent Living Unit for the Sisters of St. Francis) from 1995-1996, serving in prayer ministry.
Sister Teresiana’s work as principal also included serving at Our Lady of Peace School in North Augusta, South Carolina (1956-1962) and at St. Patrick Indian Mission in Anadarko, Oklahoma (1962-1964).
Sister Teresiana’s nineteen years of ministry in the Archdiocese of Washington included teaching at Nativity School (1933-1948) and at St. Bernadette School, Silver Spring (1952-1956).
She ministered for ten years in the Diocese of Wilmington, working in parish ministry at St. Ann Parish (1985-1995).
Sister Teresiana’s final years were spent in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia serving in prayer ministry at Assisi House in Aston (1996-2006).
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on September 1. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Teresiana is survived by her sisters, Sister Ann Mercedes Miller of Aston, by nieces and nephews; and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to Franciscan Ministries Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.