Red Hill Farm is an expression of the environmental initiatives set forth by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia. These initiatives strengthen the congregation’s commitment to preservation of the land, promotion of health, and the use of sustainable practices.
To promote the environmental vision and principals of the Sisters of St. Francis we
- build soil fertility with compost, cover crops, and crop rotation;
- reconnect people with the land through community events, member workshops, and newsletters;
- strive to inspire our community to experience fresh, local, and healthy food;
- harvest and utilize rain water in the children’s garden and herb garden;
- provide seasonal produce from the farm to the kitchens of the OLA motherhouse and Assisi House;
- utilize safe production methods without the use of synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides.