Care for our common home is deeply rooted in our Franciscan spirituality as indicated by our 1996 Constitution and 2008 Mission Statement “…we live as sister with one another, with the entire human family, and with all creation.” This critical time challenges us to be more aware and diligent in our efforts to safeguard and nourish all of creation.
In Laudato Si, a papal encyclical released in May 2015, Pope Francis describes the critical moment we share with the Earth community: This sister (Earth) now cries out to us because of the harm we have inflicted on her by our irresponsible use and abuse of the goods which God has endowed her…this is why the earth herself, burdened and laid waste, is among the most abandoned and maltreated of our poor…” Laudato Si (2). Our desire this year is to educate ourselves and others on this encyclical and responding to it with all the resources of our congregation.
- Pope Francis’ Encyclical Laudato Si: Care for Our Common Home (Note: It is a long document to print out. We would suggest either purchasing a copy or reading it on your computer.)
- Some Additional Resources
- Encyclical Action Kit from Interfaith Power & Light and the Catholic Climate Covenant
- Purchase Green Faith: Mobilizing God’s People to Save the Earth, Fletcher Harper, 178 pages
- Healing Earth, an online text from the International Jesuit Ecology Project Video (12:27 min.)
- “Time for an Energy Change” (Fracking and Climate Change)
Join Us! Take Action!
We will be posting monthly actions that you can take to help make our world a better, cleaner, and safer place. Do your part to care for creation. Mother Earth is asking for your help!
Access monthly prayers/reflections from 2018 on caring for creation. We welcome you to continue to join us in praying monthly for our common home! Click here