Aston, PA — Sister Clare Inez Karp, OSF, died in St. Ann Convent, Tacoma, on August 12. She was eighty-eight years of age and had been a professed member ofthe Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for sixty-nine years. Sister Clare Inez (Mary Clara Karp) was born in Baker, Oregon, where she was a member of St. Francis DeSales Parish. Prior to her entrance into the congregation in 1936, she graduated from St. Joseph Academy in Pendleton. Sister Clare Inez earned a B.A. in Education and an M.A. in Theology. She ministered in education, diocesan ministry, and healthcare.
Sister Clare Inez ministered for forty-eight years in the Diocese of Baker. She taught at St. Francis Academy in Baker (1942-1944, 1958-1960) and at St. Joseph Academy in Pendleton (1945-1946). From 1955-1958 she taught religious education at the Holy Family Confraternity. She worked in the diocesan religious education office from 1960-1972 and again from 1974-1977. From 1977-2002 she worked at St. Elizabeth NursingHome/Health Care Center in Baker in various capacities.
During her six years of ministry in the Diocese of Spokane, Sister Clare Inezt aught at Mt. St. Joseph Academy in Tekoa (1947-1948, 1949-1950) and at St. Charles School in Spokane (1951-1955).
Additional teaching experiences included teaching at St. Patrick School in Portland (1946-1947, 1950-1951) and St. James School in McMinnville (1948-1949). From 1938-1942 she taught at St. John School in Wasco, California. In 1972 she returned to California and was assistant director of religious education at St. Isidore School in Danville.
In 2002 Sister Clare Inez moved to St. Ann Convent in Tacoma where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
All services will be held in St. Ann Convent in Tacoma. A vigil will beheld at 7 P.M. on August 15 and will be follow by the viewing. The Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. on Thursday, August 16. Sister Clare Inez is survived by nieces and nephews and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to Franciscan Ministries Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.