Aston, PA-Sister Regina Desmond, OSF (formerly Sister Marie Andrew), 83, died in Assisi House on April 13, 2011. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 63 years. Sister Regina was born in Wilmington, Delaware, where she was a member of St. Thomas Parish, and a graduate of St. Peter’s High School in New Castle. She entered the congregation in 1946 and professed her first vows in 1948. Sister Regina earned a B.A. in English from Villanova University, a M.A. in Theology from the St. Francis College, and a M.A. in Religious Education from Catholic University. She ministered primarily in education, parish, and campus ministry.
Sister Regina served in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia for 59 years. She began her ministry teaching at St. Aloysius School in Pottstown (1947-1952) and St. Francis deSales School in Lenni (1952-1956). She taught at Villanova University (1956-1957), Hallahan High School (1957-1966), and St. Maria Goretti High School (1970-1971). She also spent time teaching at St. Pius X High School in Pottstown (1971-1983). Sister Regina ministered for 14 years at Neumann University in Aston in Campus Ministry (1984-1998). From 1998-2005 she lived at Our Lady of Angels Convent in Aston where she volunteered as a liturgy assistant. She began her prayer ministry in Queen of Peace Convent (2005-2007). She moved to Assisi House in Aston in 2007 where she continued to serve in prayer ministry until her death.
Sister Regina also ministered for 3 years (1966-1969) in the Archdiocese of Washington, DC, where she was a student and a substitute teacher at Catholic University of America.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Tuesday, April 19. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Regina is survived by a sister, Ann Eckrich; a sister-in-law, Althea Desmond; nieces, nephews, and her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.