Aston, PA-Sister Marietta Wallaert, OSF, (93) (formerly Sister Agnes Madeline) died in St. Ann Convent, Tacoma, on January 21. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 75 years and was preparing to celebrate her 75th jubilee. Sister Marietta was born in Baker, Oregon. She entered the congregation in 1936 and professed her first vows in 1939. She earned a B.A. from Holy Names College and an M.A. in Education from Gonzaga University, both in Spokane, Washington. She ministered primarily in elementary education as both teacher and principal and also served as a tutor for the Oregon Literacy Program. In later years she also served as a receptionist and as part of a retreat center staff.
Sister Marietta ministered in the Archdiocese of Portland for 33 years. She taught at Blessed Sacrament School in Portland (1947-1953, 1954-1962); St. James School, McMinnville (1962-1964, 1968-1971); Pope John XXIII School, Portland (1974-1977). She also worked at the Franciscan Renewal Center in Portland from 1987-1998.
Sister Marietta ministered in the Diocese of Baker for 12 years. She taught at St. Joseph Academy in Pendleton (1939-1941) and was teacher and principal at Sacred Heart Academy in Klamath Falls (1953-1954, 1970-1971). From 1978-1986 she ministered as a receptionist at St. Elizabeth Nursing Home in Baker.
Additional ministry experience included working in child care at St. Joseph Orphanage in Spokane (1941-1943).
Sister Marietta’s 27 years of ministry in the Archdiocese of Seattle included teaching at St. Leo School in Tacoma (1943-1947, 1964-1968) and Our Lady of Lourdes School in Seattle (1977-1978). She was principal of St. Charles Borromeo School in Tacoma from 1971-1974. In 1998 she moved to St. Ann Convent in Tacoma where she first ministered as a volunteer and later served in prayer ministry until her death.
All services will be held in St. Ann Convent on January 23 and 24. Sister Marietta is survived by her cousins and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.