Aston, PA—Sister Irma Francis Godsil, OSF, (92) died in Assisi House on January 22. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 74 years. Sister Irma Francis was born in Boherbue, County Cork, Ireland where she was a member of St. Mary Parish. She entered the congregation in 1937 and professed her first vows in 1940. She earned a B.S. in Education from Mt. St. Mary University in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in 1956. Sister Irma Francis ministered primarily in elementary education and, after her retirement, in pastoral ministry.
Sister Irma Francis ministered for 54 years in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. She taught at St. Elizabeth School (1940-1947); Immaculate Conception School, Towson (1947-1955); St. Peter Claver School (1955-1958); Shrine of the Little Flower School (1958-1962); St. Clement School, Rosedale (1968-1969); Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School, Middle River (1975-1985); and St. Joseph School, Fullerton (1985-1998). After her retirement she lived in St. Anthony Parish and volunteered at Magnolia Manor/Parkside House in Catonsville (1998-2006).
Sister Irma Francis also ministered in schools in the south and southwest. She taught in St. Joseph Academy, Chickasha, Oklahoma (1962-1965); Holy Spirit School, Jacksonville, North Carolina (1965-1966); St. Paul School, Spartanburg, South Carolina (1966-1968); and St. John Vianney School, Orlando, Florida (1969-1975).
In 2006 Sister Irma Francis moved to Aston, Pennsylvania, and ministered as a volunteer in Assisi House. In 2010 she became a resident of Assisi House where she served in prayer ministry until her death.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 610 Red Hill Road, Pennsylvania, 19014 on January 29. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial at will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Irma Francis is survived by nephews and cousins, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.