Aston, PA—Sister St. Francis Coco, OSF, (93) died in Assisi House on January 26. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 62 years. Sister St. Francis (Marie Theresa Coco) was born in Boston, Massachusetts, where she was a member of Holy Redeemer Parish. Prior to her entrance into the congregation, she worked in Filene’s Department Store. Sister St. Francis entered the congregation in 1950 and professed her first vows in 1952. She ministered in primarily in domestic work in the various convents where she lived.
Sister St. Francis ministered for 36 years in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. From 1978-2010 she assisted in both the dining room and the mail room at Our Lady of Angels Convent, the congregation’s motherhouse in Aston. In 2010 she moved to Assisi House where she served in prayer ministry until her death. Additional ministry in Pennsylvania included St. Joseph Convent in Lancaster (1961-1962).
Sister St. Francis ministered for 12 years in the Diocese of Trenton. From 1951-1952 she taught kindergarten at St. Rose of Lima School in Freehold. From 1962-1973 she ministered at McCorristin Faculty House in Trenton. Sister St. Francis also ministered for seven years in Puerto Rico at the Convento De San Francisco in Barranquitas (1954-1961).
Sister St. Francis’ ministry in her native Massachusetts included caring for the children at St. Mary Home in New Bedford (1952-1954) and working at Blessed Sacrament Convent in Walpole (1973-1978).
All services will be held in Assisi House, 610 Red Hill Road, Pennsylvania, 19014 on January 31. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial at will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister St. Francis is survived by nephews, nieces, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.