How are these investments selected and monitored?
The Committee for Responsible Investment (CRI) selects applicants whose goals are compatible with the values and mission of the congregation and whose objectives meet several of our social criteria. These are to
- improve the social and economic well-being of low-to-moderate income communities,
- provide community participation and the possibility of self-determination,
- have the capacity to complete their projects but have limited or no access to capital,
- foster equality and justice for all people, particularly women, children, persons of color and persons with disabilities,
- promote sustainability of Earth and all natural resources,
- recognize the sacredness of diversity in creation and in all cultures.
Priority is given to applications from geographic areas where the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia and Franciscan Companions minister.
Potential borrowers must meet certain financial as well as social criteria developed from the congregation’s values, mission, and social concerns.