Tips for Living More Lightly
- Make conscious efforts to limit amount of clothing, furniture, food purchases, etc., making them more available to others.
- Take time to reflect on your personal responsibility to protect the environment.
- Examine your use of the resources.
- Take time each day to reflect on the free and generous gifts of nature.
- Explore ways of getting media coverage for an issue that concerns you.
- Use filtered water rather than bottled water in solidarity with those whose water’s source is being diminished by the privatization of water.
- Learn about environmental racism, the disproportionate impact of environmental contamination on communities of color.
- Learn about agencies in your community, city, or state that have responsibilities for environmental issues and how to contact them with your concerns.
- Give 5% of your budget to assist a poor family in your area while becoming more aware of the plight of those who are poor.
- Watch the sun rise and set, take a walk, learn the birds in the area, and follow the night sky. Go outside to a quiet place or listen to instrumental music with nature background. Allow yourself to be transported into the heart of creation.
St. Francis and the Song of Brotherhood and Sisterhood, Eric Doyle, OFM
Franciscans and Creation: What is our Responsibility? Washington Theological Union, Symposium Papers, 2003, Franciscan Institute Publications
Web of Creation: Ecology Resources to Transform Earth and Society
Project Nature Connect
Sojourners: Faith in Action
The Council of All Beings