Aston, PA—Sister Eleanor Augustine Beckman, OSF, 88, died in Assisi House on May 26. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 66 years. Sister Eleanor Augustine (Helen Marie Beckman) was born in Philadelphia where she was a member of St. Ludwig Parish and a graduate of Hallahan High School. She entered the congregation in 1947 and professed her first vows in 1950. She earned a BA in Biology from Villanova University and an MS in Chemistry from Fordham University. She ministered primarily in education and spent many years teaching science.
Sister Eleanor Augustine ministered for 41 years in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. She taught at Little Flower High School, St. Maria Goretti High School, and West Catholic High School. In 1965 she began teaching at Neumann University and continued her ministry there for 28 years.
Sister Eleanor Augustine spent both her early years and her later years in active ministry in the Diocese of Wilmington. She taught in Corpus Christi School from 1953-1955. After she retired from teaching, she returned to Wilmington and worked as a receptionist at St. Francis Hospital for 15 years.
Sister Eleanor also ministered for three years in the Diocese of Allentown. She taught at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School in Minersville and later at Reading Central Catholic High School.
Additional ministry experience included teaching in Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School in Baltimore, Maryland.
In 2008 Sister Eleanor Augustine moved to Assisi House in Aston where she served in prayer ministry.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, Aston, Pennsylvania, 19014 on Thursday, June 2. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial at will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Eleanor Augustine is survived by her cousin, Eleanor Warner, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.