Aston, PA—Sister Gabriel McAvey, OSF, 90, died in Assisi House on March 4. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 67 years. Sister Gabriel (Eileen McAvey) was born in Briskill, Newtownforbes in County Longford, Ireland. She entered the congregation in 1950 and professed her first vows in 1953. Sister Gabriel earned a B.A. in Math from Georgetown University and a B. A. in Latin from Marylhurst College. She ministered primarily in education on elementary, secondary, and collegiate levels.
Sister Gabriel ministered for 21 years in her native Ireland. She taught at Collinstown Park Community College in Dublin and later volunteered at the Capuchin Day Center, also in Dublin.
During her 13 years in the Diocese of Baker, Sister Gabriel taught at Sacred Heart Academy in Klamath Falls and at St. Joseph School in Pendleton.
She also served for 11 years in the Diocese of San Bernardino where she taught at St. Edward School and St. Francis School, both in Corona, and at St. Thomas School in Riverside.
During her five years in the Archdiocese of Seattle, Sister Gabriel taught at St. Leo School and St. Charles School, both in Tacoma.
Additional ministry in education took Sister Gabriel to the Diocese of Spokane where she taught at St. Charles School and to the Archdiocese of Portland where she taught at Central Catholic High School.
In 2011 Sister Gabriel retired from active ministry and moved to Assisi House, the congregation’s retirement residence in Aston, Pennsylvania, where she served in prayer and hospitality ministry until her death
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, Aston, Pennsylvania, 19014 on Friday, March 13. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Gabriel is survived by her sister-in-law, Kathleen McAvey; brother-in-law, Joseph Rogers; nieces, nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.