Sister Leona Marie Cain, OSF, 79, died in Assisi House on June 22. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 59 years. Sister Leona Marie (Regina Marie Cain) was born in Piscataway, Maryland, where she was a member of St. Mary Parish. Prior to her entrance into the congregation in 1947, she graduated from Notre Dame Academy, Washington, DC. She professed her first vows in 1950. Sister Leona earned a B.S. in Education from Mt. St. Mary University in Emmitsburg, Maryland, and ministered in elementary education. In her leisure time, she enjoyed reading, needlecraft, puzzles, music, and art.
Sister Leona Marie ministered for 22 years in the Diocese of Wilmington. She taught at St. Joseph School (1950-1956); St. Thomas School (1956-1957); Immaculate Conception School, Elkton (1958-1959); St. Peter School, New Castle (1961-1968); and Holy Angels School, Newark (1970-1977).
Sister Leona’s 20 years of ministry in the Archdiocese of Baltimore included teaching at St. Peter Claver School (1957-1958, 1978-1986) and St. Clement School in Rosedale (1969-1970, 1986-1996).
Additional ministry experience included teaching at St. Ann School in Naples, Florida (1968-1969); St. Patrick Mission in Anadarko, Oklahoma (1959-1961); and Our Lady of Lourdes School in Bethesda, Maryland (1977-1978).
In 1996 Sister Leona Marie moved to Assisi House in Aston and served in prayer ministry. In 2002 she moved to Queen of Peace Convent, one of the congregation’s independent living units in Aston, and volunteered in Assisi House.
All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, on Friday, June 26. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 A.M followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial will be at 11 A.M. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Leona Marie is survived by her brothers; Russell Cain, Fort Worth, Texas; Dennis Cain, Catlett, Virginia; cousins; nieces; nephews; and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.