Prior to the election of the new leadership team, the chapter delegates worked to create a direction statement using a process of communal discernment facilitated by Sister Barbara Valuckas, SSND—a process that had actually been ongoing for the entire congregation over an 18-month period. During that time the sisters had developed a single question as the chapter focus:
Provident God, whose life-giving Spirit urges us forward, where are you challenging us, as Franciscan women today, to risk rebirthing our charism into an unknown future?
During the actual week of chapter, the delegates moved between base community tables and concensus community tables to move that single question into a working and workable direction statement. The final draft of the statement was unanimously approved prior to the election of the new leadership team.
Directional Statement – Congregational Chapter 2014
Trusting in our Provident God, whose life-giving Spirit urges us forward, we challenge ourselves as Franciscan women to risk rebirthing our charism, offering it as gift to all. Rooted in contemplative consciousness and committed to the primacy of relationship, we choose to be a prophetic and transformative presence in our Church and world.
Filled with hope, we step into the unknown future, calling ourselves to…
- Explore our evolving identity as women in the Church.
- Expand options for membership and other forms of association.
- Foster dynamic engagement in every stage of our lives.
- Exercise responsible stewardship and intensify efforts to care for Earth.
- Heighten intercultural and intergenerational consciousness and create opportunities for engagement.