Aston, PA—Sister Mary Hugh Black, OSF (94), died in Assisi House on June 21. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 66 years. Sister Mary Hugh (Catherine Bridget Black) was born in Philadelphia where she was a member of Sacred Heart Parish. She entered the congregation in 1952 and professed her first vows in 1954. She later earned a B.S. in Education from Villanova University and an M.A. in Religious Education from St. Charles Seminary. She ministered primarily in education on both elementary and secondary levels.
Sister Mary Hugh ministered for 59 years in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. She taught at St. Ludwig School, St. Elizabeth School, St. Alphonsus School, Our Lady of Consolation School, and St. Maria Goretti School, all in Philadelphia. She also taught at Our Lady of Perpetual Help School in Morton, Resurrection School in Chester, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School in Doylestown, Holy Savior School in Linwood, St. Mary School in Schwenksville, and Holy Savior-St. John Fisher School in Linwood.
Additional ministry in the field of education included teaching at St. Francis School in Allentown and Most Blessed Sacrament School in Bally, both in the Diocese of Allentown. In the Diocese of Wilmington she taught at Corpus Christi School in Wilmington.
In 2011 Sister Mary Hugh moved to Assisi House where she ministered in prayer and hospitality ministry until her death.
All services will be held on Thursday, June 25, at Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Road, Aston, Pennsylvania, 19014, will be private. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston. Sister Mary Hugh is survived by her brother, James Black; her two sisters, Margaret Chmielewski and Theresa Radetich; her nieces and nephews, and by her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, PA 19014.